Drug TraffickingHave a Former Prosecutor Fight for You
Newport News Drug Trafficking Defense Attorney
Experienced Chesapeake Drug Trafficking Lawyer
Drug trafficking is a serious crime that can result in severe penalties. If you are facing drug trafficking charges, it is important to have an experienced criminal defense attorney on your side. At Ehrenworth Law, PLLC, we are dedicated to providing our clients with the aggressive defense they need to protect their rights and their future.
What Is Drug Trafficking?
Drug trafficking is the crime of selling, transporting, or importing illegal drugs. It is a federal offense that is punishable by a mandatory minimum prison sentence and substantial fines. The specific penalties for drug trafficking depend on the type and quantity of drugs involved.
Drug Trafficking Laws
Drug trafficking is a federal crime that is governed by the Controlled Substances Act. This law makes it illegal to manufacture, distribute, or dispense controlled substances. It also makes it illegal to possess controlled substances with the intent to manufacture, distribute, or dispense them.
The Controlled Substances Act classifies drugs into five schedules based on their potential for abuse and their accepted medical uses:
- Schedule I drugs are considered to be the most dangerous and have no accepted medical uses.
- Schedule V drugs are considered to be the least dangerous and have accepted medical uses.
Drug trafficking is a felony offense. The specific penalties for drug trafficking depend on the type and quantity of drugs involved. The Controlled Substances Act imposes mandatory minimum prison sentences for drug trafficking convictions. This means that a judge cannot sentence a defendant to less than the mandatory minimum sentence.
The mandatory minimum sentence for a drug trafficking conviction depends on the type and quantity of drugs involved. The Controlled Substances Act also imposes substantial fines for drug trafficking convictions. The specific fine depends on the type and quantity of drugs involved.
Defending Drug Trafficking Charges
There are several defenses that can be used to fight drug trafficking charges. The best defense strategy will depend on the specific circumstances of the case.
Here are some of the most common defenses to drug trafficking charges:
- Illegal search and seizure: The Fourth Amendment to the United States Constitution protects individuals from unreasonable searches and seizures. If the police violated your Fourth Amendment rights, any evidence they obtained as a result of the illegal search and seizure can be suppressed and cannot be used against you in court.
- Constructive possession: Drug trafficking charges require the prosecution to prove that you had actual or constructive possession of the drugs. Actual possession means that the drugs were found on your person. Constructive possession means that the drugs were found in a location that you had control over. If the drugs were found in a location that you did not have control over, you cannot be convicted of drug trafficking.
- Entrapment: If the police used entrapment to catch you in the act of drug trafficking, you cannot be convicted of the crime. Entrapment occurs when the police induce someone to commit a crime that they would not have otherwise committed.
- Chain of custody: The prosecution must prove that the drugs that were seized are the same drugs that were tested. If the prosecution cannot establish a proper chain of custody, the drugs cannot be used as evidence against you in court.
Our Experienced Newport News Drug Trafficking Lawyer Can Help
If you are facing drug trafficking charges, it is important to have an experienced drug trafficking attorney on your side. At Ehrenworth Law, PLLC, we are dedicated to providing our clients with the aggressive defense they need to protect their rights and their future. We will review the evidence against you, conduct a thorough investigation, and develop a strong defense strategy. We will fight tirelessly to get the charges against you reduced or dismissed. If necessary, we will not hesitate to take your case to trial to get the best possible outcome. We understand the serious consequences of a drug trafficking conviction and will do everything we can to help you avoid them. Contact our office today to schedule a consultation with one of our skilled Newport News drug trafficking defense attorneys.