White Collar CrimesHave a Former Prosecutor Fight for You
Newport News White Collar Crimes Defense Attorney
Types of White Collar Crimes & Penalties in Virginia
The phrase “white collar crime” is a catch-all term for a variety of crimes generally committed in a business or professional environment by executives, managers, entrepreneurs, and the like. These are crimes committed through the use of deception and fraud for financial gain. As such, they bring a very negative stigma to anyone associated with them.
Examples of white collar crimes include:
- Identity theft - Up to $100k in fines and up to 10 years in prison
- Bank fraud - Up to $1 million in fines and up to 30 years in prison
- Forgery - Up to $100k in fines and up to 10 years in prison
- Money laundering - Up to $500k in fines and up to 40 years in prison
- Bribery - Up to $100k in fines and up to 10 years in prison
- Extortion - Up to $2.5k in fines and up to 10 years in prison
- Perjury - Up to $2.5k in fines and up to 10 years in prison
- Embezzlement - Up to $2.5k in fines, up to 20 years in prison, & victim restitution
Even though they are nonviolent offenses, a conviction for a white collar crime can carry an array of penalties as well as collateral damage to your finances and reputation. Penalties can include jail or prison time, fines, probation, and restitution. The result of a conviction will be a permanent criminal record that can make future opportunities difficult.
Let Our Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer Represent You
If you or someone you love is being investigated or has been charged with any type of white collar crime, it is imperative that you avoid speaking to law enforcement without the protection of an experienced attorney. Doing so could jeopardize your case and future options. Ehrenworth Law, PLLC can provide the protection you need along with experienced defense representation throughout the duration of your case.
As a former prosecutor, Attorney Ehrenworth understands what you are up against in any white collar crime case. No matter how complex your case may be, our firm has the experience and legal skills necessary to provide you with a thorough and aggressive defense. Depending on the circumstances, we may be able to achieve a reduction or dismissal of charges, reduced sentencing, or other favorable options.